A history of accelerating the future of energy, together
From its founding and to today, AES Vietnam has led lasting positive change in the energy sector based on its stakeholders’ most critical needs.
A journey to a Sustainable Energy Future in Vietnam
- The Vietnamese government granted an investment license to AES-VCM Mong Duong Power Company — a joint venture of U.S. company AES, Korea's POSCO, and China Investment Corporation — to build the 1,240-MW Mong Duong 2 BOT Power Plant.
- Construction started after successful financing arranged for the Mong Duong 2 Power Plant, with the total investment of approximately $2.1 billion
- COD of Mong Duong 2 Power Plant
- AES signed an MOU with PV Gas to develop the $1.4 billion Son My LNG Terminal Project
- Completion of refinancing project for Mong Duong 2 Power Plant, which led to the first international project bond issuance for Vietnam.
- AES signed an MOU with the Ministry of Industry and Trade to develop a $1.8 billion 2.2GW CCGT Power Plant under the BOT scheme in Binh Thuan Province.
- New company name “AES Mong Duong” introduced in April 2020
- AES Vietnam and PV GAS Ink Term Sheet of the Joint Venture Agreement for Son My LNG Terminal in November 2020. Together, the CCGT and terminal are expected to play a major role in shaping Vietnam’s energy future by diversifying the energy mix with imported LNG and meeting the country’s increasing demand for sustainable and affordable electricity.